Pages

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

      Unfortunately, I don't have much to report today as we didn't get a chance to go out and bird.  I only saw to new species for the year list, neither of which are particularly exciting.
     Driving through Jackson I spotted a Rock Dove aka rat with wings aka pigeon. Not too thrilling, I know, but still it's a bird I don't have on my very young list. Further along on the drive, heading up to Pioneer for a barbecue a largish bird skipped above the roadway, its red wings and flight pattern marking it as a Northern Flicker.
    When I was younger I thought that pigeons were beautiful and misunderstood, their iridescence and sweet voice made feel protective of them and I disliked city counsel members who enacted laws that forbade the feeding of pigeons and I held disdain for property owners who installed pigeon spikes. Now I realize that they carry a load of diseases and I these days I find disgust with people who feed them in parks. That lady in Mary Poppins who feeds the birds in the square? D-I-S-G-U-S-T-I-N-G!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright (c) 2010 Little Big Year. Design by WPThemes Expert

Themes By Buy My Themes and Best Web Hosting.