Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

  Phew, what a hot past few days. Over the holiday weekend we were desperate to escape the weather so we drove up the mountain to Silver Lake and Hope Valley. Luckily we saw a few new birds as well as having a wonderful  mini-vacation.
     At Silver Lake I was anticipating some Mountain Chickadees and Achille swore he heard them whenever he would be off by himself somewhere. He came back from the toilets announcing their presence so I headed up to the toilets and began searching the lodge poles and junipers for some birds. Immediately some movement caught my eye and I spotted a small warbler with a yellow spot on his head and a yellow throat: a Yellow-rumped Warbler which I cannot recall is on my list or not.  As we were leaving the lake to walk over to the Kit Carson Lodge we suddenly noticed a Bald Eagle perched above the beach we had just been lounging on. Score! As a small side-trip on the way to the lodge we went down into a small gulley where a very shallow pond is formed by snow run-off. We spotted a female Bufflehead on the pond all by her lonesome.
     Later we headed further up the mountain to Hope Valley where I hoped to spot some Willow Flycatchers but alas, again I was left unhappy with zero new birds for that part of the trip. At one point I was certain I was tracking a Mountain Bluebird in a lodgepole but then noticed the cougar tracks near bye and realized that I was a large prey item. Suddenly birding seemed unimportant and I hurried back to the car where my baby was sleeping and my husband was waiting paitently.
     The first new bird I spotted that day was actually back in Jackson at Safeway where I realized that the Barn Swallows swarming around the water tower where joined by Bank Swallows.
  So 3 new species for that day, not great but we'll head back up the mountain again soon.

      Last night I spotted a Barn Owl out back so, four new species in 7 days. Not good at all.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright (c) 2010 Little Big Year. Design by WPThemes Expert

Themes By Buy My Themes and Best Web Hosting.